Ecuador Resident Visa Types & Process 2019 – Interview w/ Maité Durán at Gringo Visas (Episode 93)

We get a lot of questions about the types of Ecuador resident visas and the process for getting a visa in Ecuador so we arranged an interview with Maité Durán at GringoVisas. She and her team helped Amelia and me get our Ecuador temporary resident visa when we decided to move to Ecuador.

If you’re already in Ecuador and nearing the end of your 2-year temporary resident visa, you may be interested in our Ecuador Permanent Resident Visa video and blog post. Some of the information is the same for both, but there are a few differences. We also have Ecuador Expat Info videos on other topics.

Maite and GingoVisas

Maité founded GringoVisas over 9 years ago after she moved back to Ecuador from Connecticut. She thought the process was very confusing and difficult to navigate as an Ecuadorian native trying to get visas for her US born children, so she thought it must REALLY be difficult for non-native Spanish speakers moving from another country. That’s when the idea for GringoVisas was born.

Now, Maite has an office in Cuenca and one in Danbury, Connecticut with several employees who help people get visas, cedulas, drivers licenses, marriage licenses, health insurance and bank accounts on a daily basis.

Even if you’re fluent in Spanish, which is a requirement to navigate this process by yourself, it’s impossible to stay on top of the frequent changes unless you do this full time and have government connections who can explain them to you. That’s why we recommend having an expert on the ground like Maite and her team who stay up-to-date with the constant changes.

There are other visa agents in Ecuador and Cuenca like and Visa Angels Ecuador, but we haven’t worked with them so we can’t attest to their abilities. If you would like to contact GringoVisas, visit the GringoVisas Contact Us page and be sure to tell Maité that Amelia And JP sent you.

Ecuador Temporary Resident Visa Types

There are several different types of Ecuador Temporary Resident Visas, and the requirements vary depending on the type you get.

Professional and pensioner visas can be issued while you’re still in the US so you can come to Ecuador with your visa already attached to your passport. However, you have to come to Ecuador to pick up your investor visa in person from the ministry.

Professional Visa

We’re here in Ecuador on a Professional Visa, which means we still work, have regular income from outside Ecuador (at least $385/month as of our temporary visa application in 2017), and a degree from an approved university. You can find the approved university list here…

Amelia has a degree from The University of Phoenix, but that university degree is not accepted by Ecuador because the majority of classes are taken online. I went to the University of Kansas (Rock Chalk Jayhawk) for both my bachelors and masters degrees. When I graduated in the 90’s, online courses weren’t a thing yet, so I took all my classes in-person. This means Amelia is here on a dependent visa that’s attached to my professional visa.

We had to get an official diploma and transcript from KU for my most advanced degree (my masters). We also had to get a notarized letter from a university official stating my degree was valid. Then we had to send that to the GringoVisas Connecticut office so they could get it apostilled before mailing it to Ecuador.

This process was a real pain because the Ecuadorian government kept changing the rules during our application process. We had to make two trips to the KU campus to get all the documents we needed. Thankfully, we just happened to be in Kansas visiting my parents during this phase of the process.

Investor Visa

For the Ecuador Investor Visa, you need to invest $40,000 + $500 for each dependent (as of 2019) in an Ecuadorian bank CD for at least 2 years, the duration of your Ecuador Temporary Resident Visa. The new laws for this visa no longer have travel restrictions. You can leave Ecuador for as many days per year as you want.

The interest rates on the CD’s will shock you if you’re coming from the US where banks don’t pay meaningful interest anymore. As of this writing, the interest rate on a 2 year CD is roughly 9%. That’s nine percent, not point 9 percent. My bank account back in Denver earns .1 % right now.

Pensioners Visa

In order to get a Pensioners Visa, you need to show income for the remainder of your life of at least $800/month + $100/month for each dependent (as of 2019). This can be from your Social Security check, retirement accounts, annuities, etc. You can only be outside Ecuador for 90 non-consecutive days with this visa type.

Rentista Visa

The Rentista Visa is a relatively new type of visa, and due to confusion about how it works, not many have been issued. It’s similar to the Pensioner’s Visa in that you have to prove you have consistent monthly income of $800/month + $100/month for each dependent. The only difference is that you don’t have to prove that it’s income for life. You just need to provide your last 12 months worth of bank statements showing that the qualifying amount has been deposited each month. You may also need proof of your work contract or employment that states you will continue to earn an income after you move to Ecuador.

Dependent Visa

As I mentioned, Amelia is here on a dependent visa attached to my professional visa. As long as we stay married, she can maintain her dependent visa, but if I die or she leaves me for a Latin lover, she will need to get her own visa.

In order to apply for a dependant visa, your spouse’s/parent’s visa needs to be issued first. We were able to submit Amelia’s temporary resident application with mine, but they didn’t start processing it until my professional visa had been issued.

It took 3 months for my visa to be approved and issued after we filed the paperwork with the ministry. We filed it shortly after our arrival in October and my visa was available toward the end of January. Amelia received her dependent visa in mid-March.

There are no other special requirements, but you can only be outside Ecuador for 90 non-consecutive days with this visa type.

Tourist Visa

This visa is easy to get. Just come to Ecuador and it gets issued at passport control. However, it’s only good for 3 months, but you can get a 3 month extension if needed.

Other Visas

The four other types of Ecuador visas are work visa, volunteer visa, student visa and industrial investor visa. These are only temporary visa options. They aren’t available visa types for permanent resident visas. If your goal is to become a permanent resident of Ecuador, it’s best to get one of the other visa types.

Since these aren’t common with expats and we don’t know much about them, I’m not going to cover those in this blog post. Please contact Maite at GringoVisas or one of the other visa agents if you have questions about these visa types.

Ecuador Temporary Resident Visa Requirements

There are a few main requirements to get an Ecuador Temporary Resident Visa. You can read the detailed list on the government website here…

Health Insurance

You either need public or private health insurance to apply for a temporary resident visa in Ecuador.

The public plan is called IESS and it’s Ecuador’s version of social security. The IESS plan is cheaper than private insurance, but you’ll need to go to the IESS hospital and doctors when you need medical care. We don’t have any experience with either, but we’re told the facilities aren’t quite as nice or modern as the private hospitals.

Our relatively new health insurance plan is through Confiamed. We purchased that plan through an insurance broker here in Cuenca after our other insurance company went bankrupt. If you need our insurance agent’s contact info, please drop us a note and I’ll send an email introduction.

The cost of both public and private health insurance depends on the standard factors: single or couple, age and non-smoker. Pre-existing conditions are covered after a 2-year waiting period with private insurance. We’ve heard there is no waiting period with the IESS plan, but we’re not positive about that. Those regulations have changed since we arrived in Ecuador, too.

We pay $156/month for a private health insurance plan for both of us. We’re 47 and 50 year old non-smokers. A non-smoking married couple we know said they pay $77/month for the IESS plan to cover both of them.

Fingerprints & Background Checks

We had our fingerprints taken at the police station here in Cuenca when we visited on our exploratory trip 2 years ago. They were used to request FBI and state police background checks. These reports must be less than 6 months old when you file your visa application.

Marriage License

For dependent visas, you’ll need a marriage license, or birth certificates for children. The apostille date needs to be less than 6 months from the date of the application.

You can register your marriage license in Ecuador so it’s always on file and you don’t have to go through this process again. Maite said it only costs $2 or $3 to register it with the ministry.

Ecuador Temporary Resident Visa Ministry Fees

The Ecuador Temporary Resident Visa has two primary fees (as of 2019). The temporary resident visa application fee is $50 per application and is non-refundable. If your visa application is approved, the temporary resident visa fee is $400 per person.

Ecuador Temporary Resident Visa Process

There are lots of steps involved with getting your Ecuador Temporary Resident Visa, and it usually takes 3 to 6 months. It took us almost a year to get ours due to the constantly changing immigration laws following the last presidential election.

It can take 2 to 3 months just to get the background checks done in the US and mailed to Ecuador so keep that in mind when you’re planning your travel.

Step 1: Fingerprints

The first step in the process of getting your Ecuador Temporary Resident Visa is getting your fingerprints taken. We had ours taken here in Cuenca Ecuador on our exploratory trip 2 years ago, but you can also have them taken back in the states. Maite’s team can help you with that.

Step 2: Background Check

Once we had our fingerprint forms, Maite’s team requested the background checks from the FBI and Colorado state police back in the US.

Step 3: Visa Specific Requirements

Professional Visa

You need to request a notarized diploma, transcript and the official university letter stating your documents are real. Then it needs to be apostilled.

Dependent Visa

If you’re applying for a dependent visa, you’ll need to get a certified copy of your marriage license and have it apostilled. Your children will need to have apostilled birth certificates.

Investor Visa

For the investor visa, you’ll need to invest in an Ecuadorian bank CD for at least 2 years. You can wire the funds directly to the bank.

Pensioner Visa

You need to request a letter stating your monthly income.

Step 4: Request an Appointment with the Ministry

You can go to any of the ministry offices in Ecuador to submit your application, but some have longer waits than others. Cuenca is one of the busiest offices in Ecuador so it can take 3 to 4 months just to get an appointment date to submit your application.

We went to Machala on the coast to submit our temporary visa application because the wait for an appointment was only 2 weeks. Maite said the wait in Machala is now 4 to 6 weeks. Machala is about 3 to 4 hours from Cuenca, so a lot of people go to Azogues, which is about 30 minutes from Cuenca. However, Azogues also has much longer wait times than Machala.

Right now, the long waits are mainly due to the influx of Venezuelan refugees. The Ecuadorian government is prioritizing them so they’re able to work legally to support themselves and their families.

Step 5: Fill Out and Notarize the Visa Application Form

The visa application form is in Spanish and must be filled out in Spanish. Once it’s filled out, you’ll need to go to a notary to have it notarized. You need to sign the application in front of the notary after showing him or her your identification.

Step 6: Submit Your Application

Once you have your completed visa application form and all the other required and apostilled documentation, you’ll go to the ministry office on the date of your appointment to submit your application. You’ll need your passport as identification. This process is different if your visa will be issued in your home country. Maite or your visa agent will help with that process.

Step 7: Wait

We submitted my Ecuador temporary resident visa application at the end of October when we first arrived in Ecuador, but didn’t receive it until the end of January. It took 3 months to get approved and printed.

Due to the constantly changing laws and delays when we applied for our temporary resident visas, we were here in Ecuador for several months beyond our 3-month tourist visa without our temporary resident visa. Since the application was in-process, we technically weren’t illegal aliens, but it sure felt like we were! Thankfully we didn’t need to leave the country during that small window or it might have been difficult to get back in.

Step 8: Get Your Visa from the Ministry

Once your visa is approved, the government prints a visa sticker that must be applied to one of the pages in your passport by a government official at the ministry office where you submitted your application. Again, this process is different if your visa is being issued in your home country.

For my temporary visa, Maite took my passport to Machala to get the sticker on one of her weekly trips. She did the same thing for Amelia so we didn’t need to take the long trek back to Machala to get them.

Step 9: Get a Cedula

After we received our temporary resident visa, we took it to the government office here in Cuenca to get our cedula, which is our official Ecuador ID card. It looks like a driver’s license, only it doesn’t allow us to drive.

Hopefully you enjoyed our video and this lengthy blog post about the Ecuador Temporary Resident Visa. If you see others asking about this complex process on social media, please share it with them. And if you spot any inaccuracies or outdated rules, please let me know so I can keep this up-to-date.

¡Muchas gracias y hasta luego!

13 replies
  1. Solon Peres
    Solon Peres says:

    JP and Amelia,
    Thanks for this very informative video. It answered several questions I had and that I could not get an answer for. We really appreciate this.

    PS: My wife (Monica) and I are going to Ecuador on April 25 and will be in Cuenca between 4/28 and 5/4. Hopefully we can meet one day in one of your favorite vegan restaurants. 🙂

    • JP
      JP says:

      Great! Glad it was helpful!

      We’ll be in India until after you’ve left Cuenca. Bummer! It would have been nice to meet! Enjoy your time there!

      • Solon Peres
        Solon Peres says:

        Thank you! We will take care of the city while you are out and will try your favorite restaurants. By the way, we picked Quito Airport Suites for 1 night and will stay at the Otorongo Hotel because of your recommendations. Thanks again for providing such a wealth of information.

  2. Sally Abu Sakha
    Sally Abu Sakha says:


    My husband and I have been living in Ecuador since October 2017 but our professional visa was not issued until May 2018 (it was a long and painful process….).
    We are interested in applying for a permanent residency but were wondering if the travel restriction would apply to us since we would have already been abiding by the 90 day/year rule while living here under our temporary residency.


    • JP
      JP says:

      You’ll need to ask Maite or another visa agent about visa related questions. We’re not the experts on visas, which is why we used GringoVisas.

  3. Jenny Zhu
    Jenny Zhu says:

    Hello Amelia and JP,

    Thank you for your videos and information about Educator which is very helpful for us. We are planning a trip to Ecuador to find whether we will choose it as our destination for international living in the future. Do I need to apply for a tourist visa before we arrive in Ecuador? Does Ecuador accept travel insurance when we travel in the country within 30 days? If we can get a visa at the airport when we arrive in, what documents are required for a tourist visa?

    Thanks a lot!

    • JP
      JP says:

      Hola Jenny! Sorry for the slow reply!

      Your 3-month tourist visa will be issued by customs when you enter Ecuador so you don’t need to apply ahead of time. All you need is your passport and certificate of health insurance. We bought travel insurance with health coverage from Allianz Global when we visited, but they never asked to see it. You’re supposed to have it though so it’s best to get it in case someone asks to see it.

      • Jenny Zhu
        Jenny Zhu says:

        Thank you so much for your kindness and suggestion! We love all your videos. We would arrange a trip to explore the mysterious place.

  4. Garrett A Mills
    Garrett A Mills says:

    My family and I went to Ecuador in 2017 on a 90 tourist visa. The one you get upon entry from the US. The expectation was that we could begin the process for a pensioner visa. However, we were disappointed as we were told we could not apply for another visa while having a tourist visa. So, when ended coming back to The States after being there for 10 months. I learned there are two types of tourist visas, apparently we had the wrong one. Anyone know what the other one is? The one that let’s you move over to a temporary resident’s visa in Ecuador?

    • JP
      JP says:

      That’s the first I’ve heard about 2 different types of tourist visas. We were here on a tourist visa that we got at customs when we entered Ecuador and we applied for our temp visa during that time. Very strange.


Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *